Saturday, May 31, 2008

Indiana Jones Sucked

There are a lot of thing that pissed me off about this movie but here are the top three.
  1. Unrealistic: I understand that most action movies, and in particular the Indiana Jones series, is supposed to be somewhat campy and that suspension of disbelief is a given. But there is a limit. For example, you can't survive an atomic explosion inside a refrigerator. And even if you did survive you'd probably need serious medical attention, not just a simple scrub down in a bunker.
  2. Lack of Development: The characters lacked substance. Even Indiana was kind of a caricature of himself. There was virtually no growth in his relationship with Mutt. Surviving an adventure in South America together does not eliminate eighteen years of paternal absence and lies.
  3. Aliens: WTF?! Wrong genre. I was actually willing to accept the idea until Cate Blanchett's eyes melted and a spaceship flew out of the ground into outer space. That's horrible even by sci-fi standards. 
Seriously, this movie watched like a bad fan-script. A first draft for that matter.  I'm going to pretend this never happened and end the series with The Last Crusade.

2 comments:

Anon said...

It's funny because I remember at one part turning over to my friend and saying "How is he not dead yet??" I mean I know it's "the" Indiana Jones, but seriously. He was nuked. I'm curious as to whether the movie was a bigger disappointment because it failed to live up to its expectations...or did it just suck on its own merit. Really, how good could the previous ones have been...what were people expecting? It looked like a silly action flick. I knew it would suck. I guess my point is that I wasn't expecting anything provocative or even interesting. So the retarded scenes like the one with the aliens was an added kick for me. I sat there thinking "let's see how much sillier this movie can get" after each outrageous scene. and i was NOT disappointed.

Ranee said...

The thing is, the other movies were awesome. They were at least somewhat believable, and there was just the right amount of humor to balance out anything that was implausible. This new installment however, is completely ridiculous. Clearly they were trying to recreate the older films and it showed. Some of the scenes were almost identical. But as with any copy, the further you get from the original, the poorer the quality. The result is a poor man's version of Indiana Jones. Someone else said this somewhere, but if the movie had a different title character, it would have gone straight to DVD.